Clovelly Estate is home to the Rous family and has been for over 400 years. Since Elizabethan times it has remained in private ownership. Consequently this has helped preserve its originality and atmosphere. The village remains a fully functioning working fishing village, clinging to a 400 foot cliff, overlooking Bideford Bay. Hence it has had no motorised vehicle access since the 1920’s on its steep cobbled streets, just the donkeys and sledges.